Amani Nature Reserve hiking; Amani nature reserve is located in the East Usambara Mountains and it is the home to fauna and flora which cannot found somewhere else. Among the endemic species found in this reserve and the Usambara Mountains include, the Usambara three-horned chameleon, Nduk eagle owl and the famous African violet (Saintpaulia).
One of the major attraction in Amani nature reserve is the Botanical gardens which is the second largest botanical garden in the world where major medical research are done in the Amani Medical Research. Now days this Nature reserve has changed into one of the significant tourist attraction in the country where by a number of tourist from around the world visit for scientific research, ecotourism and trekking.
Amani Nature Reserve is a bird paradise where variety of birds can be spotted including, Uluguru violet backed, forest warbler, Amani Sun bird, and various species of flowers such us nine species of the African Violet garden flower and the colorful butterflies.
Visitors can get information about the flora and fauna of the Usambara Mountains at the reserve visitors center before starting the tour. The center has a variety of seed samples and photographs of varies species located in the area. You may also get an opportunity to get some information about the local culture and craft.
Amani Nature Reserve Tour Itinerary
Day 1: Emau Hill, Usambara Mountains
Depart Dar es Salaam at 0800 hrs to Amani nature reserve in Usambara Mountains.. Stop for lunch at Korogwe Transit hotel then proceed to Emau Hill where you will overnight at Emau Hill Campsite.
Day 2: Amani Nature Reserve
After breakfast a short walk in the immediate area to experience a tropical rain forest and by the river to see the African Violets growing in profusion.
A drive around the area including a visit to a tea estate
Escorted night walk in the Amani Nature Reserve
Day 3: Bird watching
Breakfast in the Camp, option to stay at leisure in the camp either go for bird watching or hiking.
Picnic lunch can be arranged.
Full day escorted bird watching with picnic lunch
Day 4- 7: East Usambara Mountains to Pangani
After breakfast depart Amani nature reserve for the journey to the historical and cultural town of Pangani via Tanga. Spend 4 nights HB at Mkoma Bay Tented Lodge.
- Relax by the pool, walk on the beach or the following optional activities:
- Game drives in Saadani national park and boat sagfari along Wami River
- Pangani River cruise; Snorkeling off Maziwe Island; Walking tour of historic Pangani; Dhow trip to Zanzibar; Scuba Diving; Mountain Bikes; Lunch and shopping in Tanga
Day 8: Pangani – Dar es Salaam.
Today we will transfer you by road to Dar es Salaam via Msata and the historical town of Bagamayo.
Note: Emau Hill Forest Campsite will be closed during the rainy season approx. mid-April until June 21st
- Airport transfers
- 2 nights in the hotel at Dar es Salaam
- Reserve Entrance fees
- 3 nights accommodation at Emau Hill Forest Campsite with three meals a day
- Transport in a 4WD Safari vehicle
- 4 nights accommodation at Mkoma Bay Tented lodge HB.
- Airport transfers on the arriving and departing day at Dar es Salaam.
- Salary for the Professional English Drive Guide & armed ranger
- Activities as per itinerary above.
Amani Nature Reserve Package Excludes:
- Airport transfers
- International flight
- Airport departure tax
- Hot and cold drinks
- Flying doctors insurance